Power FM, Live On Air Today
Congratulations to Given Mkhari, CEO of MSG Afrika Media, and his awesome team on their first day live on air today. The emergence of any new independent media player is exciting, from both a marketing and a political/democratic point of view.
Any healthy democracy needs independent media to hash out all manner of social issues as freely as possible. For our young democracy, the media’s fourth estate role could not be more crucial, especially in the face of the Secrecy Bill and continued corruption. From a marketing perspective, this radio station “offers marketers a whole new language in which to communicate,” says Mkhari. Of course the listener numbers to bolster this channel as a preferred choice for advertisers will only be evidenced in the coming months. All the same, marketers have another option for targeting a specific South African demographic.
Power FM’s target audience is the majority of South African adults. Geographically, Gauteng is the primary target area, and then the rest of the country. With the station’s drive being listener-centric, extending to not just a platform for discourse but also listener-driven action, Power FM is poised to claim a huge chunk of the South African listenership. Jupiter Drawing Room handled their pre- and post-launch campaigns and the ‘tag clouds’ billboards struck a chord: cutting through the clutter with a clear, bold message: Power to the people. Great work from Vuyani Plata and team.
The channel boasts an incredible line-up throughout the day and right into the wee hours. Mkhari went all out, and created a team of social savvy individuals with extensive media experience across the board. These include:
- Siki Mgabadeli (Former Summit TV, SABC 2, SABC 3 and SAFM with numerous journalism accolades to her name)
- Eusebius McKazier (Former Talk Radio 702, World Champion Debater and author of A Bantu In My Bathroom)
- Lawrence Tlhabane (With over 30 years of broadcasting experience, you probably remember him as Lawrence Dube)
- Ndumiso Ngcobo (Author of one of my favourite books, Some Of My Best Friends Are White and noted political commentator)
- Azania Mosaka (Former Metro FM & SABC television)
- Ursula Chikane (Current Top Billing Presenter, Former 5FM & Radio Express)
- Owen Nkomo (The money-man, with over 11 years of experience in finance and investment)
- Aldrin Sampere (News Journalist formerly with Jacaranda, YFM, Jozi FM and Eye Witness News)
- Chris Vick (He’s a love-him-or-hate-him kind of guy. Media and PR guru, and political analyst of note, with a wealth of experience in business, government and the general public sphere)
- Masechaba Lekalake (She was the incredible host for the 6-part documentary Why Are We So Angry that aired on SABC, and has been in the media for 8 years, and still running )