SABC pulls the plug on controversial City Press Adverts
More bad news from the SABC which is again refusing to flight controversial adverts. This time SAPA reports that the public broadcaster refused to air a series of commercials for the Naspers owned newspaper City Press, which were said to be a part of a barter agreement between the news brand and the SABC. During the elections the SABC refused to flight DA and EFF adverts, and had to be forced to do so legally.
Writes SAPA: “The advertisements — which referred to the 2012 Marikana shooting in Rustenburg, e-tolling and the Economic Freedom Fighters — were due to be aired this month. On May 28, however, Cornette Zietsman from the newspaper’s marketing division was informed in an email that the material was “not suitable for transmission” and that the booking request was cancelled “until further notice”. The advertisements were part of a barter agreement with the broadcaster and the newspaper’s parent company, Media 24. The agreement was that the SABC would air the newspaper’s advertisements from January to December this year on its television channels, and in turn the City Press would run the broadcaster’s advertising in its pages. The newspaper said the SABC had already used advertising worth R1,045,380 on the current barter in its pages.”
Read the City Press story – Why the SABC banned our ads.
Read more: SABC deems ‘City Press’ advert ‘not suitable for transmission’ in The Witness.